Monday, January 25, 2010

Paradigm shift in Aristocracy

This morning, I was significantly surprised. Not pleasantly, nor unpleasantly. Just significantly.

I had gone to Dhanya's hospital for a blood-test to determine how my tongue is screwing my health. We were in their staff canteen after the test for a late break-feast. To the table on the right were four Emarati ladies, who, according to Dhanya, were Resident doctors, some of whom work with her as well.

One of them came over to our table and requested for the sugar-dispenser. I offered to let her have it. As she stretched forward to collect the bottle, I noticed that she was wearing a diamond-encrusted Rolex, which would cost approx. AED 100,000/-. It took me a while to collect myself and exhale.

When I slowly mentioned this to Dhanya, she replied that just about every Resident there wears a Rolex! Now comes the interesting part. Apparently, one of Dhanya's local patients was being examined by her. And we know how much some of the less educated patients respect Indian doctors. Anyways, here comes a Resident, and this patient suddenly stands up to wish her in a sign of unfathomable respect! Apparently, she was of very high birth. And Dhanya told me that, she actually was a very down-to-earth person who would really do a lot of work.

What's the paradigm shift here with respect to the Residents? They didn't need to work. They chose to. Sandstorms of change sweeping our nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers