Friday, February 19, 2010

Efficiency at the speed of stress

I was talking to a friend about business the other day, and more specifically, about the obstacles to business in yesteryears and the current speed of doing business.

On reflection the lack of obstacles, and speed may not be such a good thing. Business at the speed of thought warrants thinking at the speed of light. We have blackberried our lives so much that life, family, and work have become one tragic continuum.

This is inevitable. What can be done though? There is no way we can head for the village anymore, but we can bring the village back into our head. The solution might be to slow down and pace ourselves. A hint that this was a method for me revealed itself when I read about how slow eating helps health. Slow everything helps health. We should consciously stop feeling uncomfortable when we are suddenly burdened with free time. We should endeavour to work efficiently without stress to necessitate efficient work output. I am figuring it out now, and making the effort to change.

Life is too long for us to not change, though too short for those who don't want to.

1 comment:

  1. Oru Chinna Katha- Praveen

    A visiting sage to a kingdom became so popular that crowds started dwindling in King's court. Unable to bury the curiousty, the king embarked on a disguised adventure to unravel the secret of the greatness of the sage. He promised himself to study the sage for 3 days from dawn to dusk.
    The sage woke up, did his daily chores- bath, cooking food, prayers, teaching students etc. He offered his prayers to the lord for 10 mins before retiring to be. This was his routine everyday-one that the king found nothing out of the ordinary for a sage. The king could not find a single reason behind the lavish encomium poured by the subjects on the sage.

    The king confronted the sage- Why do my subject hold you in such high regard, I cannot, and please forgive my impertinence, find a single act of yours exceptional and therefore commendable- In fact I see an air of disinterested nonchalance in everything you do?

    The sage said- The secret is that at any given moment of time I do just one thing. IF i have a bath, it is just the bath- I do not think of God or anything else. If i think of God- it is God and God alone. My child- I do not multitask. Multitasking and mutitargeted objectives, in the neame of efficiency, that we set for ourselves is the source of all stress and unhappiness. I am completely free from that unhappiness which is why your subjects perhaps find me extraordinary!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers